Exercise takes time. It hurts (sometimes). And it is so confusing. What do I do? How much time to I have to devote to it? And really, what are the benefits? WHY do I NEED to exercise?
What’s the big deal, anyway?
The answer all depends. Do you want to feel better, have more energy and maybe, just by chance, live longer and be healthier?
If you answered yes at all, then listen up. According to the Mayo Clinic, there are seven benefits of regular physical activity.
Exercise not only can help in boosting your mood, but believe it or not, it can improve your sex life and oh-so-much more!
Take a look at these benefits and see why exercising is all that and a whole lot more.
- Exercise helps to control your weight
- Exercise helps to combat health conditions and diseases
- Exercise helps to improve your mood
- Exercise helps to boost your energy
- Exercise helps to promote better sleep
- Exercise helps to put the spark back in your sex life
- Excising CAN BE FUN
- WEIGHT: This one is pretty obvious, but according to the Mayo Clinic, when you engage in physical activity, you burn calories. Burning calories either helps you to lose weight or it can help you maintain your weight. Either way, it is beneficial. And not only does this always mean doing an actual workout. Think about things you do during your daily activities that can boost the amount of calories you burn. For instance, take the stairs instead of taking an elevator.
- HEALTH: Being active boosts high-density lipoprotein (HDL) or your “good” cholesterol and decreases unhealthy triglycerides, according to the Mayo Clinic. Regular physical activity can help you prevent and help you manage a plethora of health issues, including, but not limited to stroke, type 2 diabetes, depression, arthritis and even certain types of cancer.
- MOOD: According to the Mayo Clinic, a workout at the gym (Vital Fit Club, of course) or even a 30-minute walk can help boost your mood. Working out stimulates various brain chemicals that may leave you feeling happier and more relaxed. In addition, by working out, you may feel better about your appearance, which can boost your confidence and improve self-esteem.
- ENERGY: Exercise and physical activity deliver oxygen and nutrients to your tissues and help your cardiovascular system work more efficiently. And when your heart and lungs work more efficiently, you have more energy to go about your normal daily chores.
- SLEEP: Regular activity can actually help you fall asleep faster and deepen you sleep. However, experts at the Mayo Clinic say you shouldn’t exercise too close to bedtime as you may be too energized to fall asleep. Although this may not be the case for everyone.
- SEX LIFE: This may be a taboo topic for some people, but here’s the deal with sex and exercise, according to the Mayo Clinic: Regular physical activity can lead to enhanced arousal for women and for men, they may be less likely to have problems with erectile dysfunction. And so now you know!
- FUN: Yes, believe it or not, exercising CAN BE FUN! It gives people a chance to unwind and do things that maybe you didn’t think you could do. It also helps you connect with family and friends in a fun, social setting. Find a physical activity you enjoy and just do it. Yes, it is that simple. (See Vital Fit Club’s group exercise schedule for May and June posted below – maybe it’s time to try a new class or come back to one if you’ve been gone!)
As a general goal, the Mayo Clinic suggests getting at least 30 minutes of physical exercise every day. If you want to lose weight or meet specific goals, however, you may need to get more. And as a rule, especially if you haven’t exercised in a long time, check with your doctor first.
WHICH CLASS WILL YOU BE ATTENDING?