This week in our “Meet our Team” feature, you get to meet Alyssa Andrews-Stern!
During the next several weeks, we will feature all of our instructors and then we will feature our staff members. Each week, you will get a sneak peak into who they are and what they like. We will share a “Top Ten” list about each of them and maybe even include a photo or two. We hope you enjoy this new feature.
Also, you can attend our featured instructors classes for free during the week they are spotlighted.
Alyssa’s classes this week include 50-50 on Monday at 7:45 a.m., spin on Tuesday at 7:45 a.m., Pilates on Thursday at 8:35 a.m. and 50-50/HIIT on Saturday at 8 a.m.
Here is more about Alyssa:
Family members: Daughter – Kennedy.
Certifications: Group Exercise, Pilates, PiYo and NATS.
Top TEN things:
- What do you teach at Vital Fit Club and how long have you been teaching? I currently teach Pilates, spin and 50-50. I started teaching at Vital last November, but I have been teaching group fitness classes since 2009.
- What is your favorite format to teach and why? I really enjoy teaching a spin class and then a Pilates class because your body is warmed up from the cardio workout and then with Pilates, you work your core and increase flexibility with already warmed up muscles.
- What motivates you? Members motivate me. They took the time out of their day to come here so I want to give them the best workout possible and make it worth their time.
- What is your favorite quote? “You will do AMAZING things.” It was a Pinterest printable. But for real, I really like “I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.” Or, “It is well within my soul,” which is from a favorite hymn.
- What is your favorite healthy meal? Baked Egg Rolls from Budget Bytes. Click HERE for a link to the recipe. As a shortcut to not having to cut up all the vegetables, I buy broccoli slaw in a bag and use that for my filling.
- What is your favorite indulgence? Anything sweet. But my mom makes an amazing chocolate cake with a chocolate ganache served with a scoop of vanilla bean ice cream on the side. That’s what I get for my birthday dessert!
- What is something people may not know about you? I worked for the Douglas County Sheriff’s Office for almost four years and I was a healthcare/physician recruiter prior to realizing that health and fitness was my true passion and that it is something I want to do for the rest of my life. (Hence, why I am going back to school!)
- What is your favorite song, book or movie and why? I love all music. I find that lyrics often appeal to my emotions. Adele’s latest CD and Taylor Swift’s 1989 album are two favorites. I also love to read when I have spare time; my favorite authors are Patricia Cornwell and Jodi Picoult.
- Besides teaching classes, what is your favorite way to stay active? I love hiking, being outside for a solo run or playing hockey in the winter. But, having a 3 1/2 year old sometimes limits my time outside of class, but we like to play at the park and got for walks.
- In one or two words, how would you describe yourself? Passionate and determined.
Alyssa and her daughter, Kennedy, at Carlos State Park. This is one of their favorite things to do together.
Alyssa is heading back to school for her second degree and double majoring in health and physical education to become a teacher.
She is a huge fan of red and white wines (she also works at Carlos Creek Winery) and quotes. Sometimes, seeing positive works from someone else can change your outlook on the whole day!